BOXING DAY SHOPPERS URGED TO USE PUBLIC TRANSPORT AROUND CBD ROAD CLOSURES
23 December, 2019
Public transport will be the best way for thousands of bargain-hunters heading into the Sydney CBD for this year’s Boxing Day sales. Market Street will again be closed to general traffic for pedestrian safety as crowds of shoppers descend on the CBD shopping precinct hoping to score a deal.
To ensure the safety of pedestrians and drivers, there will be road closures on Market Street between Elizabeth and York Streets, Pitt Street between Park and Market streets, and Castlereagh Street between King and Market streets from 1am until 11pm.
Transport for NSW Coordinator General, Marg Prendergast said Boxing Day is the busiest day of the year for both retailers and shoppers so it’s a joy to be able to provide them with additional space for a very merry post-Christmas experience.
“It’s going to be a busy and exciting day with large crowds of people heading into the CBD to snap up a bargain so we’re excited to be gifting shoppers with extra space on Market Street again like we did last year,” Ms Prendergast said.
“We’re also advising shoppers to take advantage of the public transport options we have available running into and out of the city for a faster, easier and safer journey.
“Pedestrians need to take care ‘look out before you step out’ and motorists should plan ahead and allow extra travel time if driving into the CBD.
“We can’t wait for all the buzz and excitement on Market Street. Happy shopping!”
On Boxing Day, the L2 Randwick to Circular Quay light rail line will operate from Randwick to the Town Hall stop only, with no trams travelling between Town Hall and Circular Quay all day. Red shirt customer service street teams will be at key light rail stops to advise customers of alternative transport options.
- Market Street will progressively close to general traffic from Elizabeth Street to Pitt Street.
- Market Street will also be closed between Pitt and York Streets from 7am to 11pm.
- Pitt Street will be closed north of the Hilton Hotel driveway. Pitt Street will remain open for driveway access only and changed to two-way operation between Park Street and the Hilton Hotel.
- Castlereagh Street will be closed to general traffic between King and Park Streets.
- During this time, Castlereagh Street will be converted to two-way traffic, between King Street and the St James Centre driveway for local and emergency services access only.
- Castlereagh Street will also be converted to two-way traffic between Park Street and the David Jones driveway for local and emergency services access only.
- Local access to and from George Street between King and Market Streets will be via King Street between 1am and 11pm.
All roads will reopen and return to normal operation by 11pm. Roads may open earlier if pedestrian volumes decrease.
It's your city. Know what changes are taking place.