PLAN YOUR PUBLIC TRANSPORT TRIP TO SYDNEY CBD FOR ANZAC DAY
23 April, 2019
Roads will close in the Sydney CBD this Thursday 25 April for the Anzac Day Dawn Service in Martin Place and the Anzac Day March along Elizabeth Street.
More than 150 extra early morning trains and buses will be running to help people get into the city for the commemorations.
“Public transport will be the best option on the day with over 20,000 people expected to attend and major roads closed,” said a spokesperson for the Transport Management Centre.
Travel on public transport to and from Anzac Day events will be free for current and former Australian Defence personnel in uniform, wearing their medals, or with proof of military service. Veterans’ families and carers will also be able to travel for free.
“Martin Place is the closest station to the Dawn Service, which starts from 4:15am at the Cenotaph. Trains will begin arriving at the station just after 3:15am. Wynyard Station is also nearby and only a short walk,” the spokesperson said.
“For anyone planning to attend the March, starting at 9am, the closest train stations are Martin Place, St James and Town Hall. The March will travel along Elizabeth Street from Martin Place to Hyde Park South.”
Extra early morning buses will travel on key routes into the city from the Northern Beaches, Lower North Shore, North West, Eastern Suburbs and Inner West. Some buses will be diverting and using temporary stops in the CBD while roads are closed.
Roads surrounding Martin Place will begin closing from 2am, including sections of George Street, Pitt Street and Castlereagh Street.
Major roads will begin closing along and around the March route from 6am, including sections of Elizabeth Street, Castlereagh Street, Pitt Street, King Street, Market Street, Hunter Street, Bathurst Street, Park Street and Liverpool Street.
“Motorists are advised to avoid driving in the CBD until all roads reopen at 4pm.”
Special event clearways will also be in place throughout the CBD between 5:30am and 4pm. There will be some earlier clearways around Martin Place from 1am.
“Anyone who does decide to drive should check signs before parking as vehicles parked in a clearway will be towed and a fee applies.”
- Trains will run to a Sunday timetable with extra early morning trains on most lines.
- T1 North Shore Line: Extra trains will leave Hornsby at 2:57am and 3:02am.
- T1 Northern Line: An extra train will leave Berowra at 2:45am.
- T1 Western Line: Extra trains will leave Emu Plains at 2:26am and Richmond at 2:30am.
- T2 Inner West & Leppington Line: Extra trains will leave Leppington via Regents Park at 2:40am, Leppington via Granville at 2:44am and Lidcombe at 3:02am.
- T3 Bankstown Line: An extra train will leave Lidcombe at 2:50am.
- T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line: Extra trains will leave Waterfall at 2:53am and Cronulla at 2:57am. Trains will also run every 15 minutes between Bondi Junction, Martin Place and Central, from 3:10am to 5:10am.
- T8 Airport & South Line: An extra train will leave Macarthur at 2:40am.
- Blue Mountains Line: An extra train will leave Lithgow at 12:49am.
- Southern Highlands Line: An extra train will leave Moss Vale at 1:35am.
- South Coast Line: An extra train will leave Kiama at 1:13am.
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: Extra trains will leave Newcastle Interchange at 12:35am and Gosford at 2:07am.
- Buses will run to a Sunday timetable with extra early morning services on key routes into the Sydney CBD from 2.30am.
- Buses will divert and use temporary stops in the city due to road closures between 2am and 4pm.
- From 2am, buses that normally use Elizabeth Street and Castlereagh Street will use Wentworth Avenue, College Street and Macquarie Street instead.
- From 5:30am;
- Route M50 buses that normally use Druitt Street and Park Street through the city will use Harris Street through Ultimo instead.
- Buses that normally start and finish on Bridge Street will use York Street at Wynyard instead.
- Route 389 will form two services, running between Bondi Junction and College Street/St Marys Road and between Pyrmont and York Street/Market Street.
- Victoria Road buses will start and end on York Street between Market and Druitt streets.
- Route 441 buses will start and end at York Street (Queen Victoria Building) until 4pm.
- Light Rail will run to a Sunday timetable, with extra early morning services every 15 minutes between 3am and 9am, then every 10 to 15 minutes between 9am and 11pm.
- Roads around Martin Place will be closed from 2am, including sections of George Street, Pitt Street, and Castlereagh Street.
- Roads along and around the Anzac Day March route will be closed from 6am, including Elizabeth Street and Castlereagh Street between Hunter and Goulburn streets, as well as sections of Pitt Street, King Street, Market Street, Hunter Street, Bent Street, Park Street, Bathurst Street and Liverpool Street.
- Special event clearways will be in place from 1am to 4pm around Martin Place, and from 5.30am to 4pm throughout much of the CBD.
Visit transportinfo.nsw for more information or to plan your trip.
It's your city. Know what changes are taking place.