CBD & South East Light Rail
The new CBD and South East Light Rail will transform public transport in Sydney, providing high capacity, clean and reliable services. The light rail will extend from Circular Quay along George Street to Central Station, through Surry Hills to Moore Park, then to Randwick and Kingsford via Anzac Parade and Alison Road.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
Major construction started on the CBD and South East Light Rail in October 2015. Work is now underway across the Sydney CBD, Surry Hills, Moore Park, Randwick and Kensington.
A combined bus and light rail network will significantly improve public transport access to major sporting and entertainment facilities at Moore Park and Randwick along with the University of NSW, TAFE and health precincts. Additional light rail services will provide extra capacity for major events.
- High frequency ‘turn up and go’ light rail services operating up to every four minutes in the peak.
- Reliable and high-capacity services.
- Additional special event services between Central and the Moore Park and Alison Road stops.
- A one-kilometre pedestrian zone along George Street, between Hunter and Bathurst streets, providing new opportunities for outdoor dining, creative spaces and entertainment.
- A fleet of electric-powered light rail vehicles with air conditioning and accessible low-floor design.